The Haybat Sultan Tunnel is designed to cross the Haybat Sultan Mountain and create a new corridor between the Erbil – Koya Highway, at existing Koisanjaq – Suleymaniye Road and existing Raniyah – Dukan / Suleymaniye road.
This section applies to the execution of New Austrian Tunneling Method (NATM) in any type of rock. This section does not deal with specific topics of rock classification. Excavation may be carried out by drill and blast using pre-split or smooth blasting techniques or by road header or tunnel excavator.
The New Austrian Tunnelling Method (NATM) is based on the principle to take utmost advantage of the rock`s capacity to support itself, by careful measures and deliberate guidance of the forces during the readjustment process from the primary to the secondary state of stress, which takes place in the surrounding of the excavation. By this way, local progressive loosening will be limited by careful excavation methods and timely installation of the support elements and the rock mass will be able to support itself. The supports elements are shotcrete, wiremesh, rock bolts and steel ribs.
The application of the NATM requires deformation monitoring for the purpose of stability assessment and the verification of the sufficiency of the support elements installed. The deformation monitoring is accomplished by means of advanced surveying methods and special devices.
This project consists of detailed design for Haybat Sultan Tunnel
Scope of the Project:
- Preliminary and Detailed Design of 3 km tunnel
- Preliminary and Detailed Design 3 km approach roads
- Preliminary and Detailed Design 2 interchanges
- Survey & Mapping
- Preliminary and Detailed Design of Highways and Tunnel
- Geotechnical Works
- Geology Report
- Bill of Quantities
- Tunnel Support System
- Electromechanical Works (ventilation, firefighting system, electrical signalization, tunnel controlling system)
HAYBAT SULTAN TUNNEL CHARACTERISTIC PROPERTIES
- Design Length of Haybat Sultan Tunnel: Twin Tube, 3165 meter
- Tunnel Height: 7.60 meter.
- Tunnel Internal Area : 71 m²
- Tunnel Circumference: 33 meter
- Max. Avg. Wind Velocity: 9 m/sn
- Passenger Car Traffic Density : 800 vehicle/hour
- Heavy Vehicle Traffic Density : 1200 vehicle/hour
- Road Width Inside Tunnel Tube: 8.50 meters ( 2 lanes )
- Tunnel Horizontal and Vertical Geometry Design Speed : 120 km/hr
- Allowable Speed In Tunnel : 80 km/hr
- Tunnel Excavation Method : New Austrian Tunneling Method (NATM)
- Number of Emergency Vehicle Exit: 3 nos.
- Number of Emergency Pedestrian Exit: 2 nos.
Fire Extinguishing System:
All the fire suppression systems shall be designed to the highly reliable, having low operation and maintenance costs, operable with few number of personnel and as automatic as possible.
Ventilation System: 28 number of jet fans are used in ventilation design.
Jet Fan Properties
Flow (m3/s): 26.3
Velocity (m/s): 33.5
Power (kw): 30
Tunnel Electrical System:
Tunnel Electrical System Design consists of Tunnel Electrification and Lighting, Tunnel Emergency Announce System, Tunnel Emergency Call (Telephone) System, Signalization System, Tunnel controlling System.